Subscribe:

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ile De France Fol Epi Cheese

About six months ago I learned that one of my great-grandfathers was a cheese maker. I was thrilled at this information for obvious reasons, the least of which is my love of cheese. I've tried so many types of cheese, some memorable and others not so, but I rarely find a cheese that I dislike. Ile De France produces many of my favorite French cheeses and I'm always happy to try new ones.

French cheeses are so different in nature than others and I find that each has a quality to it that pairs well with certain foods; sort of like I fine wine. Fol Epi is a cheese with a distinctive flavor likened to Emmental. Nutty and smooth, it doesn't have quite the bite that a Swiss would have and is milder in flavor, but equally delicious.

My favorite grilling cheese is of the Swiss variety, so I knew exactly what would become of this lovely sampling. The sandwich was so good, and the flavor of the cheese so mild, that my 3 year-old daughter couldn't get enough ... thankfully the other kids were out for the day.



The Fol Epi Grilled Sandwich
Serves 1

2 teaspoons grainy brown mustard
2 teaspoons honey
1 Naan bread
4 ounces smoked turkey breast slices
1 ounce sliced Ile De France Fol Epi cheese
red pepper slices
tomato slices
leaf lettuce

1. Slice Naan in half crosswise. Spread both halves with mustard and honey on one side only.
2. Layer one side with turkey, red pepper and cheese. Top with other half.
3. Cook in a non-stick grill pan, flipping once, until cheese is melted - about 3 -4 minutes.
4. Carefully remove one half and top with tomatoes and lettuce - replace top and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment